Three days into vacation, and I want you to know that it’s not all fun and games and banana daiquiris here at chez Kellypuffs. I’m hoping to make this precious time a growth experience, so I am going to record all the new things I learn and do over the week, to show that it’s not a TOTAL waste of time, but is another tiny step or two along the path to enlightenment and nirvana.
- It is possible to grow weary of watching Red Sox games on TV. I didn’t think it was possible, but my attention has flagged. BORED now. Boredboredboredbored bored. Yawn. Wake me for the playoffs.
- My sewing machine is possessed. The Bernina has developed a mind of its own, and started running BACKWARDS… BY ITSELF… when I was in the midst of patching a pair of jeans. I stepped quickly away from the machine, and will be calling in reinforcements.
- Getting the septic tank pumped is a noisy business.
- But not noisy enough to wake me up more than momentarily.
- Cucumber sandwiches made with garden-fresh cucumbers and hand-sliced slabs of homemade oatmeal bread with a BIG glass of iced tea is quite possibly one of the best summer meals EVER.
- I learned that one of the reasons I’m having so much trouble making jewelry is that I was only using ONE pair of needlenose pliers. Apparently, it works MUCH better with one in each hand. I will report my findings.
- There are about six gazillion peach recipes on t’interwebs. And every single one of them looks good.
- A Great Cleanout tip: It is a billion times easier to do the To Keep, To Trash, To Sell
schtick if you plan to have a garage sale at the end. I’m amassing a huge pile of
crap junk stuffTREASURES for the sale. Now we just have to have it.
- I’m surprised to discover that I don’t like swiss cheese as much as I used to.
- If I don’t commute to work, listening to NPR’s Morning Edition or All Things Considered, I don’t get news. I have ZERO idea what is going on in the world. The Boy just told me that there’s a hurricane bearing down on Florida. I don’t know the latest state of the Russia/Georgia dust-up, nor the latest election news. It’s kinda NICE, but maybe I should put some news feeds in my reader.
- Restaurants sometimes take Mondays off. So that’s a good enough excuse for not being so productive today.
- I’ve discovered, from my feng shui book, that my chi is whooshing heedlessly through my front hallway/stairs, so I must put a round rug in there to encourage it to linger.
- I’ve also learned that I should put a Boston fern next to the television. I moved the one from the upstairs landing down to next to the TV in the living room. It looks happier already.
“I got a cactus in the bathroom, but we’ve got nothing to say to each other.”– Walter Matthau, Grumpy Old Men
- An Internet Village Fete. Vegetable Carving?! Now this I MUST do.
It should feature peaches.